help with append

General usage of the PDF Printer.

Moderator: jr

leland

help with append

Post by leland »

I tried searching for a solution for my problem, but did not find an answer so here I am. I have 5 graphics files I would like to combine in a single PDF file. I just did it the long way by pasting them into Word, but it seems the append functions should do this when printing to BullZip PDF. Yet, it will only append a single page which is confusing me. Could someone please tell me, is it possible to append more than a single page? I would appeciate any thoughts on how I might do this easily. Thank you.

Leland
:D

PS I almost forgot, I am using GhostScript 8.61 with BullZip 4.0.0.549 (I also tried version 3.0.0.352). Thanks.
jr
Site Admin

Post by jr »

The merge function does not append two PDF documents. It appends the current print job to an existing PDF.

Regards,
Jacob
leland

Post by leland »

I understand that. I get it to append the first picture to an already created PDF file, but then when I try to append another picture it replaces the first picture I appended to the PDF with the second picture I tried to add to the end. Do you understand what I mean? I would like to append pages to the document multiple times without it only adding or replacing the last page. I'm hoping I need to configure something and that it's not a bug. Thank you.

Leland
pshipwrite

Leland, I Think I Know What You're Looking For.....

Post by pshipwrite »

Leland, I suggest you use PDF Blender, a nice piece of software that allows a user to stitch together multiple PDF documents, in whatever order you specify. The software can be downloaded at the following web site:
http://www.spaceblue.com/pdfblender/download.php

The download is quite small, roughly 586 kb. Just be sure, once PDF Blender is installed, that you go to preferences. In preferences, there is a prompt to specify the "Path to gswin32c.exe:'. This file is the Ghostscript executable. Assuming you have a standard installation of Bullzip PDF Printer, the file is located here:
C:\Program Files\Bullzip\PDF Printer\gs\gswin32c.exe

Also, if Jacob reads this post, I want to thank you for your wonderful Bullzip PDF Printer software!! It is simply outstanding!! A very nice GUI with all the essential options!!! Bullzip has now replaced PDFCreator on my computer. While PDFCreator consumed over 30MB of disk space, Bullzip takes up just over 12MB. And the PDF output of Bullzip is as good as PDFCreator's (the gold standard).
Again, great job Jacob!!!!!

p.s. Jacob, I will be making a small donation to your coffers!!

p.p.s. One point of clarification regarding Bullzip PDF Printer vs. PDF Blender. As Jacob communicated, Bullzip does allow two PDF documents to be stitched together - the current one being created (via the print command) and an already existing PDF document. PDF Blender, on the other hand, allows multiple existing PDF documents to be stitched together - I've joined together as many as 13 different PDF documents. Hope this clears up any confusion. I simply create the individual PDF documents I need via Bullzip and then join them together in the order I desire via PDF Blender.

leland

Post by leland »

That sounds like just what I need. Thank you very much.

I thought I was going crazy trying to stitch those files together, but I guess not. Thank you both very much for your responses.

Leland
pshipwrite

Leland, Glad to be of Help

Post by pshipwrite »

If you would, please, just let me know if PDF Blender works for you. I'm very hopeful it will, since it sounds like you are seeking the same type functionality I was 3 to 4 years ago. Many of my work associates use PDF Blender as well.

Good luck!
leland

Post by leland »

PDF Blender worked perfectly. I combined 13 PDF single page documents into a single document with no problems. Thanks again.

Leland
pshipwrite

That's Great to Read, Leland!!

Post by pshipwrite »

Always glad to be of assistance!!

p.s. Please excuse my overuse of the word "stitch" - I should have simply said PDF Blender will merge PDF documents together. It's just that when I first came across it, it reminded me of a medical doctor stitching together a patient to make him whole - somewhat like I was trying to do with all my individual PDF documents.

p.p.s. A colleague of mine merged together 36 separate PDFs via PDF Blender for an engineering/computer science seminar - amazing!
dibidibi

Re: help with append

Post by dibidibi »

If I'm not mistaken: Bullzip uses also PDFBlender to do the job (in the most recent version anyway).

What the problem is (I already mentioned it ibn another post) that Bullzip 'owns' the original PDF to long making the 'merge' to fail if you run the whole in a 'batch' or 'loop'.
If you make sure that BullZip has finished 100% (that is the file to append to is released by the previous print-job), then the merge from BullZip to the page(s) just printed works fine.

BullZip does handle multiple-print-jobs overlapping eachother making the append (using PdfBlender) wanting to write to the not yet finished job.

It would be a good thing if BullZip would be intelligent to notice that he is still working on the file and would wait rather than fail.
appraiser

Re: help with append

Post by appraiser »

I am having a similar problem. I am trying to merge two pdf files together into one (both one page each), and i have been unsuccessful in doing so. Any ideas???