Error copying PDF document to destination file

General usage of the PDF Printer.

Moderator: jr

PekunZip

Error copying PDF document to destination file

Post by PekunZip »

I've got annoying problem with 3 computers where I tried to install and use Bullzip PDF printer.

After setup when I try to print a document into PDF file an error occurs when I have defined file name and clicked OK button in file dialog window.
Error message says:
"Error copying PDF document to destination file. Please close the file if it is open and try again."

What might cause this kinda problem? I'm using printing with administrative privileges and sure there is no file name I've defined in file dialog while trying printing...

I tried printing in 2 XP machines and one Win Server 2003. However I succeeded with one XP machine which should be similar than other 2 XP's where BullZip does not work.

I looked at dir "C:\Program Files\BullZip\PDF Printer\temp" and there is following files while error message popup is displayed:
Printer.ps, header.ps, params.txt, patched.ps, bullzip PDF settings.ini and
BullZip PDF Printer.log.
When error message OK is clicked all files disappears except "BullZip PDF Printer.log". There is following messages:

Start Doc
Work Area (start): C:\Program Files\BullZip\PDF Printer\temp\
Make PDF
Use control: No
Destination
Work Area: C:\Program Files\BullZip\PDF Printer\temp\
WorkOutput: C:\Program Files\BullZip\PDF Printer\temp\printer.pdf
PostScript: C:\Program Files\BullZip\PDF Printer\temp\printer.ps
Patched PostScript: C:\Program Files\BullZip\PDF Printer\temp\patched.ps
PostScript Header: C:\Program Files\BullZip\PDF Printer\temp\header.ps
Parameters: C:\Program Files\BullZip\PDF Printer\temp\params.txt
Parameters: C:\Program Files\BullZip\PDF Printer\temp\BullZip PDF Settings.ini
GhostScript Application: C:\Program Files\gs\gs8.54\bin\gswin32c.exe
GhostScript Application folder: C:\Program Files\gs\gs8.54\bin
Test for setting altering program
Reload Settings
Patch PostScript
Write PostScript header
Write Ghostscript parameter file
Copy file to destination
Error copying to destination file
Cleanup

The status tells that there is problem but what might cause it?
PekunZip

Found a workaround for problem

Post by PekunZip »

I made research with the issue and found a solution for the problem.

I removed previous installations of GS and BZ.
Then I installed first GS into directory c:\gs and after that I installed BZ with default settings.

Printing into PDF works now fine.

Conclusion:
It appears to be somekinda user right issue with GS which cannot create PRINT.PDF file into ..\bullzip\BullZip\PDF Printer\temp directory. Missing file causes BullZip to fail copying PDF file into target dir and filename which is expected :wink:

So installing GS into another dir than ..\Program files fixes the problem.
Both Win2003 server and XP environments.

Have a nice day - all of you!
Centralbk

Post by Centralbk »

Hello all,

i have the same error with windows vista ultimate 32. The workaround does not work for me :-(

Vista Final
GS 8.54
BullZip 3.0.133

Any sugestions or hints ?

Thx in advance

Central BK
elisma

Post by elisma »

I have the exact same problem. I tried the proposed solution and didn't work. I even tried installing the Bullzip PDF printer in C:\bullzip and still didn't work. I'm currently using WinXP SP2. I'm using a Spanish version of Windows, maybe it has something to do with it.

The settings.ini file is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Datos de programa\Bullzip\PDF Printer. The runonce.ini file which apparently should be created temporarily doesn't, nor does a temp folder in the Bullzip folder.

I gave all this folders every Administrative right I could :) but still no solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ismael

Edit: Sorry I forgot. I'm currently using the latest version available of both Bullzip printer (3.0.0.186) and Ghostscript (8.54)
maxo

Post by maxo »

I have the same problem on Microsoft vista Business... ....any workaround?
Tnx in advance
DNB

Re: Error copying PDF document to destination file

Post by DNB »

I'm also using Vista Business and had similar problem, it might be different.
Problem occurred when I tried saving the file in other directory other than the same directory where the initial source document (in this case a Word document) was residing. When I saved the file in the same directory as the source file, I could proceed to complete the pdf creation.
srfnff

Post by srfnff »

I am also using Windows Vista. Oddly this problem has occurred after an initial successful installation with success printing a pdf file. When I tried it the second time, it didn't work. I tried installing bz on another computer in my home network and it doesn't work either. Apparently there is no solution that works for everyone re this issue posted on this forum so I'll try bz support. Thanks and hope we can come up with something that solves this.
jr
Site Admin

Post by jr »

The destination file is the file name you specified as name of the PDF to be created.

The most common reasons for this type of problem are:

1) You have the destination file open in another program. Most likely a PDF Reader.

2) You don't have access to create or overwrite files at the destination location.

Regards,
Jacob
jimm1909

Post by jimm1909 »

[quote="jr"]The destination file is the file name you specified as name of the PDF to be created.

The most common reasons for this type of problem are:

1) You have the destination file open in another program. Most likely a PDF Reader.

2) You don't have access to create or overwrite files at the destination location.

Regards,
Jacob[/quote]

Jacob-

Thanks for your response, those tips solved my issue.

-Jim