Print report with multiple pages

About the programming interface for the virtual PDF printer driver.

Moderator: jr

patrickb

Print report with multiple pages

Post by patrickb »

I want to print to PDF a report with more than 1 page.
Programmaticly, I can setup the COM environment to print a single page. As soon as the report consists of two pages, the first page gets saved in the PDF but for the second I get a bullzip dialog asking me where save the second page.

How can I avoid this, I want the two pages in one PDF.

I tried MergeFile and MergePosition, but didn't succeed. The problem is - I believe - the ActiveX treats only one page at the time. Is that correct and is there a way to circumvent this?

Is there a way to tell Bullzip to merge all pages from one printjob in a single file (pdf is not mandatory)?

Patrick
jr
Site Admin

Re: Print report with multiple pages

Post by jr »

Hi Patrick,

My guess is that your printing program makes one job per page. Which program are you using for printing?

Regards,
Jacob
patrickb

Post by patrickb »

Hi Jacob,

It is a custom made program.
When you ask a 3-page report, all 3 pages are print in the same print job, there is only one entry in the print queue.

For me, it would be logical that one printjob equalled one PDF, and muliple pages in the printjob resulted in multiple pages in the PDF.
How can this be done?

Regards,

Patrick
patrickb

Post by patrickb »

Reminder:

Could you please inform me whether it is possible or not to save a print job with 2 pages to a single PDF containing these 2 pages?
And if it is possible, how I should do this. I want to use Bullzip but this is issue is important to me.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick
MarenJ2003

Post by MarenJ2003 »

Was this issue resolved. I am trying to do the same things and it is not working. If so, could someone please post the set up procedure so I can correct this.

Thank you.
Steve Bird

Post by Steve Bird »

I just ran into this with the latest version.

Looks like the HELP is a bit misleading, or at least incompletely helpful.

The help for the MERGEFILE option says:
"Specifies a PDF file name if want to merge the output with an existing PDF file."

I'm a programmer trying to print multiple pages (multiple print operations) into one PDF.
I'm just writing the RUNONCE file directly, without bothering with the .NET stuff. I read a template with basic settings, and generate an OUTPUT= or a MERGEFILE= line to append to the basics, then write to RUNONCE.ini.

What I would think from reading the above is that it can merge the current output INTO an existing PDF file.

THAT IS NOT THE CASE. THAT IS NOT HOW IT WORKS.

So I thought that for page 0, I would set OUTPUT = X (and leave MERGEFILE off), and for pages 1+, I would set MERGEFILE = X (and leave OUTPUT off).

When that didn't work, I tried setting BOTH the OUTPUT and the MERGEFILE to the same file.

THAT DOESN"T WORK EITHER.

It is NOT able to merge current output INTO an existing PDF file, as strongly implied by the help.

Is -IS- able to merge current output AND an existing PDF file into a SEPARATE file.

So what I have to do is:
Page 0: Set OUTPUT = X.pdf, print
Page 1: Rename X.pdf into TEMP.pdf, set MERGEFILE=TEMP.pdf, set OUTPUT=X.pdf, print, delete TEMP.pdf
Page 2: Rename X.pdf into TEMP.pdf, set MERGEFILE=TEMP.pdf, set OUTPUT=X.pdf, print, delete TEMP.pdf
etc., etc.

Logically, you only need to supply one file name, at least the way I think of it. But it requires TWO, and they have to be different.

Hope that helps.