BullZip ignores Registry, settings.ini and gui.exe

Installation and setup related issues.

Moderator: jr

alrts

BullZip ignores Registry, settings.ini and gui.exe

Post by alrts »

I have installed Bullzip and want to modify a old program that writes word doc files. For whatever reason I cannot embed dll's or run exe's in that environment at this time. I wonder whether I can build PDF's without it.

My problem is that I'm getting a PS (postscript) file instead of a PDF file.

What I have done is adding an ?WordApp(ActiveDocument.Printout ... OutputFileName=mydoc.pdf) command after setting the ?WordApp(ActivePrinter) = "BullZip PDF Printer". This all works fine with the exception that the additional output file mydoc.pdf that I got from the BullZip PDF Printer is a postscript (PS) file, NOT a PDF file.

I have observed that the BullZip PDF Printer completely ignores the settings that I have set up with gui.exe.

Even when I enter the path's "DataArea", "GhostscriptFolder" and "WorkArea" into the Registry as decribed in the User Guide - Version 2.x, and created a settings.ini file is in the "DataArea" folder, the BullZip PDF Printer driver does not even attempt to access the settings.ini file. It is completele irrelevant to BullZip PDF Printer what I enter into either settings.ini or what I choose with the help of gui.exe.

However when I open the mydoc.doc and print it with the BullZip PDF Printer, then a proper PDF file is created as expected.

What a I doing wrong?
jr
Site Admin

Re: BullZip ignores Registry, settings.ini and gui.exe

Post by jr »

The driver associated with the Bullzip PDF Printer is a postscript driver. My guess is that if you set the file name from your printing program the it will save the printer file without sending it to the printer.

What happens if you don't set the OutputFileName? Will it send the output to the printer or default printer?
alrts

Re: BullZip ignores Registry, settings.ini and gui.exe

Post by alrts »

That was the problem. When I do not set the output file, Bullzip honors the settings.ini file and produces what's set there. The ?Word( 'ActivePrinter') is set to "Bullzip PDF Printer" and corresponds to the default printer. Thus the pdf file is sent to the default printer.

jr, you were of great help, thank you, Alexander