MSComCTL.ocx error on install - fix included!

Installation and setup related issues.

Moderator: jr

ipstech

MSComCTL.ocx error on install - fix included!

Post by ipstech »

Hello folks,

I have some great news to report. I was having a very difficult time resolving this error, but thankfully the bullzip developer was able to resolve my issue!

I have installed bullzip pdf on several machines (including mine) and all works great. However i had 3 PC's that would error during the installation. The step that the error would occur upon was "registering services". The error would complain about registering mscomctl.ocx, then error out with 0x5. I tried everything, deleting, replacing, re-registering, unregistering this darn .ocx file but nothing would resolve the install error.

Searching through these forums i saw others having success with Regmon (now called processmon). I loaded it up expecting to find a permissions issue in my registry, however i did not see one. Thus i sent a request to the developer for help.

The developer graciously responded to my email the same day! we setup a time for the next day, from which i called him via skype then used gotomeeting to show him the error first hand. In 15mins the issue was fixed. The problem was my lack of understanding in using processmon.

Processmon needs to be running during the install of bullzip pdf printer. After the error occurs, i needed to filter out all results except those for regsvr32 (i was instead looking for mscomctl.ocx). Once we were filtering for the right results, a simple search for access denied showed the registry entry with the issue. A quick permissions change and the installer worked flawlessly.

Not sure what caused the lack of permission in the registry, all of our users are local admins to their windows XP desktops. The registry key in question was HKCR\TypeLib\{831FDD16-0C5C-11D2-A9FC-0000F8754DA1}\2.0\0\win32\ , however i applied the updated securty rights to HKCR\TypeLib\{831FDD16-0C5C-11D2-A9FC-0000F8754DA1}.

Again i want to thank the developer as we was very prompt and extremely helpful. ALL FOR FREE!!!!! i would recommend everyone to purchase this product.
jr
Site Admin

Re: MSComCTL.ocx error on install - fix included!

Post by jr »

Thank you!

/Jacob