Printer hangs (Vista Business)

General usage of the PDF Printer.

Moderator: jr

aml

Printer hangs (Vista Business)

Post by aml »

The pdf printer (currently v 3.0.0.164) no longer works. When a doc is sent to the printer, the gui.exe is started and runs, but that is as far as it goes. I have to go into Task Mgr and stop the program to get back control of my computer. It used to work. I have removed both the Ghostscript (v 8.54) and PDF Printer and re-installed. I had versions .129 (original), .133, and now .164.
There must be something that the program is waiting for that it doesn't receive (from GS?). What programs are called? What process or service should I check to see if it's running that shouldn't be before attempting to print?
jr
Site Admin

Post by jr »

Did it stop working when you switched from 3.0.0.133 to 3.0.0.164?

/Jacob
aml

Post by aml »

No. I never changed to a new version until the PDF printer stopped working. I removed the printer and downloaded new versions to see if that would cure the problem, but it didn't help.

I experienced a similar problem a year or so ago, when a MS update crashed. It left a program running, which would always start and run when I booted back up. I finally figured out that one and basically eliminated every running program (which, of course stops windows from running, too). Once the program was stopped, the computer worked right again. At least while I didn't try to run the same update again.

I can't tell what program(s) may be the culprit (if it even is this type of problem) so I haven't had any success yet.
jr
Site Admin

Post by jr »

I cannot reproduce the behavior that you are describing.

Which operating system are you using?

Is it 64 bit or 32 bit?

Can you give me the version number of bzpdf.dll in your windows\system32 folder?

/Jacob
aml

Post by aml »

I don't think that it is OS related, but some other fluke that prevents the pdf program from working. But, what I have is Vista Business, the 32-bit OS. The bzpdf.dll has a date stamp of 3-25-2007.

I'm wondering if the BZ program hangs when it attempts to call the ghostscript program. The reason I wonder about this is that the processor goes into 90-100% usage when the program is started. The pdf printer program is running in the task manager and using the max processor output, but ghostscript is not running.

Mike