Runtime error 800004005 - Error creating Object

General usage of the PDF Printer.

Moderator: jr

eljainc

Runtime error 800004005 - Error creating Object

Post by eljainc »

Hello,

I am using Bullzip PDF Printer version 7.0.0.928. It was working well for a couple days. Then I tried to print a document to PDF and received the following error:

Runtime error 80004005
Error Creating object
Bullzip.pdfsettings Automation error

I then tried to download and install the newest one. During installation, everything went well except with a couple of message
boxes. The title window said "regasm.exe". Then it listed a long path (the contents of the Path variable) I think.

When printing a file to PDF I also get the error:
Error updating settings.ini
Source=\settings@Bullzip....
Read printer name from parameters

Does anybody know what the problem might be? I have also noticed that .NET applications (custom ones I've developed) no longer run and only display a dialog box with an OK button at startup.

Thanks
Mike
justcallmedan

Re: Runtime error 800004005 - Error creating Object

Post by justcallmedan »

As far as the "Error creating object: Bullzip.PdfSettings" message, I was receiving a similar message with the latest version (7.1.0.1140) when calling through the COM interface in VBA with:

Dim pdfWriter As Bullzip.PDFPrinterSettings
Set pdfWriter = CreateObject("Bullzip.PDFPrinterSettings")

and later attempting to run:

While fso.FileExists(pdfWriter.GetSettingsFileName)
Sleep 1000
Wend

before proceeding with setting values etc.

The error was produced from the While statement above.

The solution we found was to uninstall this latest version and revert to a prior version which we knew functioned with the above code (6.0.0.744). However, this did not work initially as the uninstallation program for version 7.1.0.1140 failed to delete "bzpdfc.dll" from the C:\Windows\system32 directory and the installation program for 6.0.0.744 did not overwrite the newer dll, which led to the undesirable situation where an older version of BullZip was using the dll from the newer version, so remember to delete the newer dll if you choose to implement this solution.

BullZip people, if your listening, this is a very good reason to ensure your uninstallation completely removes your dlls, or gives a clear warning if it is leaving them, and likewise a clear warning when an installation program finds an unexpected newer dll - which it would be prudent to ask the user if he/she wishes ot overwrite with an older version. Obviously, the source of the error in the first place should also be investigated! It may help to know that in our situation we were using a dual core 64-bit CPU, Windows XP Pro Version 2002 SP2 and the VBA code was running in Microsoft Excel 2003 SP2 when the error was generated.

eljainc, as for your other errors, I am not sure if this will help, but no solutions seem to have been proposed anywhere yet, so I felt it wise to at least post the above here, which we have found sufficient to solve our problem.

Best of luck!

Daniel L Woodward
jr
Site Admin

Re: Runtime error 800004005 - Error creating Object

Post by jr »

Daniel:

Maybe you are a victim of the Office 2003 and .NET problem described at the link below.

http://www.biopdf.com/guide/trouble_sho ... e_2003.php

Mike:

You should run the setup program with a /LOG=mylog.txt and post the content of the log file. If regasm fails then the components will not work.

/Jacob