PDF Display Delays

General usage of the PDF Printer.

Moderator: jr

Larry

PDF Display Delays

Post by Larry »

This may be hard to explain/ask, but I'll try.

I installed BullZip on my new laptop running Windows 7 a couple of months ago because my Pagemaker program would not export to pdf in the new Windows 7 unit. I cannot find any ID for the version in the preference but would assume it is a late version.

I have a web site where we upload pdfs for articles and when I use my "regular" Windows XP desktop computer and create a pdf with the same PageMaker program, these uploaded articles pop up almost immediately and display at least the first page even when the file is still downloading. You cannot move to subsequent pages as it continues to download, but at least you are not looking at blank screen.

When I create a pdf using the BullZip on my laptop (Windows 7), and upload it to my web site, when you open the article it leaves you a blank screen until the entire file is done downloading. On a file of 4.5mb it even takes an additional 20 seconds before the first page pops up to view. I am afraid the average viewer will not be patient, or will think that something is not working correctly as the screen window to display the pdf remains blank for so long.

I have experimented with a file creating the pdf in both computers (Windows XP exporting normally to pdf and Windows 7 using BullZip). I then uploaded each pdf version to my web site. As explained above, the pdf created using Windows XP and PageMaker opens the first and subsequent pages very quickly with a blank screen for only a couple of seconds. The pdf created using Windows 7 and BullZip maintains a blank (gray) window until 20 sedconds after the file indicates it is done opening.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is not a very desirable situation. My laptop was supposed to get me mobile, but I can't keep running back to the desktop computer to convert and post my files.

Thanks.