Unattended pdf creation on a schedule

About the programming interface for the virtual PDF printer driver.

Moderator: jr

Walker

Unattended pdf creation on a schedule

Post by Walker »

New to Bullzip and would like to use it to automatically print reports to pdf from Microsoft Navision without being logged in.
Navision has an Application Server which acts like a headless client for afterhours processing and so on. I got the Bullzip code working perfectly when I'm logged in, but when the scheduled time arrives and I'm NOT logged in then no pdf files are created and no errors are thrown. The NAS service that would call this routine runs under a windows account which is a local admin on the server and I explicitly set Bullzip as the default printer when the code runs.
Is this doable? Any suggestions as to what I can try?
michaelclark

Re: Unattended pdf creation on a schedule

Post by michaelclark »

I have the same situation. I am using VB in MS-Access to run a report. The report outputs to a 'Specific Printer' which I set to the Bullzip pdf printer. This works fine when I am logged on to the server, but will not create the pdf files in unattended mode. Moderator, is there a solution to this? If so, I will use Billzip for two other projects. However, if there is no solution, i will have to look elsewhere. Either way, please let me know.
nablodr

Post by nablodr »

Is there a soluiton to this?
Quoted from a previous post:
I have the same situation. I am using VB in MS-Access to run a report. The report outputs to a 'Specific Printer' which I set to the Bullzip pdf printer. This works fine when I am logged on to the server, but will not create the pdf files in unattended mode.

the process works fine if you are logged in but I am trying to run it as a scheduled task and the PDFs don't go to the file/directory I request when run as a scheduled task. They end up on the desktop instead.
jems

Post by jems »

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you actually managed to solve the problem. I am also facing a similar problem. I scheduled a task to be run at midnight to generate PDF files. When I tried running the program manually, it works. However, when I try to launch the program via task scheduler, the program still runs, but just does not generate any PDF files (not even to the desktop).

I am running Windows Server 2008 Edition and the I've specified the bullzip printer to print to a UNC path. (Is there a known problem with any of these settings? if yes, is there a workaround/solution to this?)

Any suggestions will do, thank you very much.
jems

Post by jems »

Hi,

It seems to be working for me now. I only needed to tick the "Run with highest privileges" option in the task scheduler (Under General tab of the task window). Hope this helps.
jems

Post by jems »

Hi,

I forgot to mention in my previous post, you would probably need administrative priviledge too. Running scheduled task only in highest privilege mode (but user is not part of administrators group) did not work for me. It ONLY worked for me when I set my user to be part of administrators group, and running the scheduled task in highest privilege mode.
GolfIT

Post by GolfIT »

Same problem on Windows 7 and Bullzip v.7.1.1195.
I've set the highest privileges in the Windows task scheduler, and I'm using a user with administrative rights.
Everything works also from the Task scheduler as long as I'm logged on. When I log of, I can see in the log files afterwards when I log on again that my script is executing just fine, there are absolutely no errors, the log shows the user is the Login user I specified in the task scheduler, runonce.ini is created bit no pdf is generated and runonce.ini is not being removed. It seems like bullzip is never started.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
jr
Site Admin

Post by jr »

You can try some of the settings described at the link below. Please make sure you have a recent version of the printer before you try these settings.

http://www.biopdf.com/guide/examples/network_sharing/

Regards,
Jacob
laura765

Post by laura765 »

What happens if I go to the details tab of the pdfwriter printer driver and change the output port to "FILE".
What I expect is that a dialoge box pops up so I can enter a file name and it will be created.
I want to do this becuase I I writing a program for unattended creation of PDF files and I can set the file name property through the windows API If the output port is set to FILE